Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Forgiveness Myths

I would like to share some Myths about forgiveness. 
 
 
Here are 4 myths about forgiving   what it does and doesn't mean. These come from Ladies Home Journal:

Myth #1:Forgiving means forgetting. WRONG. You have to remember so you can protect yourself in the future. But it does mean changing your perception. If someone doesn't return an important call, view him as overwhelmed instead of rude.

Myth #2:Forgiving means you're a push-over. WRONG. Forgiveness puts you in a position of strength. You still hold people accountable for their actions, but you take away their power to hurt you anymore.

Myth #3:Forgiving means you can't get angry. WRONG. By forgiving, you acknowledge that you don't have to suffer forever, but you're still entitled to your anger, and you're not weak for showing it.

MYTH #4:Forgiveness means reconciliation. WRONG. Reconciliation may be inappropriate, because sometimes you have to give up a friendship, or even a marriage. However, forgiveness gives you the space, strength and confidence to decide what's best for you.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great topic of discussion!!!!

It is true.  Hanging onto feelings of Anger toward someone else is futile.   The person who is the object of our resentment goes about his/her life without even a care or thought as to how we feel.
When we are bitter it only destroys ourselves and everyone and everything around us.

The other sad thing about those who hold onto anger for so long is the fact that they usually want someone else to join forces with them and to stand and be angry with them.  

I have learned in life NEVER to make someones else's conflict mine or to persuade someone else to take my stand with me.  To try to do so I believe is an extremely SELFISH act and only backfires and pushes those we love farther away.    

With my step-daughter rolling into town soon, these things I must personally heed. :)

xoxo~Donna




Anonymous said...

I'm terrible at forgiveness.  Mainly because it takes alot to hurt me or offend me, so if it gets to that point, I'm gonna be dancing on a grave.  ;-P

XOX...

~A