Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back Up Continued

computer_crash.jpg cat image by CelestialSylph

Yesterday we started talking about backing up your hard drive.  Many of you are computer savy, but for those of you know to computers or those of you who know people who are, these entries are for you.
 
When you are done tidying up your "My Documents" folder move over to the "My pictures" folder.  As you go through the pictures make certain that you delete any duplicates.  Pictures take up a lot more memory then document files.  While this may not be so important when you are storing files on your hard drive, it will be important when you are backing up the files you want to save.  As you go through the pictures delete the duplicates or the unwanted pictures and  rename the ones you want to keep so that you will remember what they are by their file name.   Once the pictures are renamed it is important to organize them in to folders.  Whether you organize them by date, occasion, location, or subject is not important, it is however important that you are fairly consistent and name the folders accordingly. 
 
Music files are also very important to clean up.  Music files take up a lot of space as well so make certain that you delete any duplicates.  You may want to cleaning up your music files until AFTER you create a back up.  It isn't as easy to tell duplicates with music files and many of your files may be unnamed or improperly named.  Working with music files can be very time consuming, if you have a lot of files and very little time, create the back up first, then clean it up later.
 
Tomorrow I will cover how to do actual back up and what types of formats are availble.
 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi rosemary, my "my pictures" file is huge and is in real need of sorting!!LOL I keep downloading digi kits! thanks for the advice take care mrs t xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, my.  With Kodak, if you delete one duplicate, the other will disappear.  This will cause the other one to be deleted from your blog, etc, as far as I know.  And please don't rename pictures or graphics!  Or change folders!  Or move!  This will break links!  It will break links of pics that have already been used (loaded into FTP space and put into your blog).  Then your pictures will be blank in your blog.  You will get red Xs in your blogs where pictures should be.

Also,  If you want to get the pictures off your computer, you can upload them into an FTP space such as Photobucket.  Then put the pictures onto a disc (your personal disc) so you will always have them in case Photobucket pulls their service and ceases to exist.  THEN erase your pictures from your documents in My Pictures.  Otherwise you will break up links and get red Xs in your blog if you just delete the pictures you don't want!  Or rename!  Hope that makes sense,

Krissy  :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink      

Anonymous said...

Be careful.  If you are using AOL to upload pictures to your blog, you can not be moving them around and renaming them or you will lose them in your blog. I use photobucket, so I can move them, but I would not do this with AOL.  I hope this makes sense.  Val xox

Anonymous said...

I love the tag you used today!  Hope you're having a good day.
Missie

Anonymous said...

All good tips Rosemary.  Thanks.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

thanks Rosemary; I'm printing these out :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I am reading all the comments that go along with your well versed information and all I have to say is, "Oh my God!  Can't I just wave my magic wand and make it all do what ever the heck it is supposed to do????"   giggle, wink, giggle
Karen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending me the link to your journal, I am putting you on alert.  I used to write every day but after nearly four years have cut down now and only post every few days.  I always clean out my pictures and files regularly and also save all the things I want to keep to disc.  Once again, thanks for visiting me and have a great weekend.  When I look at cactus flowers I shall always think of you.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/