Monday, June 23, 2008

Balance

 

                balanced-life.jpg balance life image by tpc0470 

You may have noticed I have been "gone" for a couple of days.  Last Wednesday I had an emergency call from the police department that they needed help.  Not being one to ignore my civic duty I of course obliged.  This left me unable to post on Wednesday.  On Thursday I had an entry almost complete for Inspiration as well as an entry for Magic Smoke.  Just as I was about to click on "save" my computer froze.  This meant I would have to re-write both. I restarted the computer and went to sign on to AOL and I had completely lost Internet service.  So, I was unable to post on Thursday.  After that things got really crazy so the weekend was a total wash.  I took a bit of a break to balance out and re-group and here I am again!

Speaking of balance... Now I am sure you are wondering what could the police department possibly need me for?  This is special!  They needed me to get drunk.  Yup!  You read it right.  They needed four volunteers to come in and start drinking at nine in the morning so that by one in the afternoon the recruits could test their knowledge on field sobriety tests.  So, at 8am my bottle of champagne and I were picked up by a police officer and driven to the police academy.  I got to ride in the front seat and without handcuffs.  I got to ride home in the same manner! When I arrived an officer did a nystamus test and breathalyzer test.  This breathalyzer test was then repeated every hour.  After my second drink and before I blew into the machine I told the officer administering the test that at this point I would not drive.  Thatwas a good call on my part because I blew a .08 which is the legal limit in NY for arrest for DWI.   Apparently however, I am a very good drunk.  The poor recruits had a tough time with me.  Before I entered the room to be tested I blew a .15 which is well over the legal limit and had I been driving I would have been arrested. 

Here is how it works.  If  an officer pulls you over and believes that you may be intoxicated there are three tests that you will be asked to perform.  These three tests are (1) the walk and turn [WAT] test, (2) the one leg stand [OLS] test, and (3) the horizontal gaze nystagmus [HGN] test.  The officer will explain in detail and show you how to perform each test.  This is actaully the a test as well, to see if you can follow and remember the directions.  If you can't, then it is the first sign you may be intoxicated.  If you have been drinking the nystagmus test is almost fool proof and it is also the first test that will be preformed.  The officer asks you to follow a pen with your eyes.  If you have been drinking your eyes will begin to twitch.   Now I have a natural nystagmus which means that my eyes will twitch whether I have been drinking or not. This was a very happy thing for me to learn about myself.  My husband, who is a Highway Patrol Officer and highly trained in DWI has done this test on me a number of times.  On a number of occasions after only one glass of wine he would perform this test on me and say I was drunk.  I would then swear up and down I wasn't.  Turns out, I wasn't!  I have a natural twitch.    The next test is the walk and turn.  This is where you have to walk the line turn and walk back. You must walk nine steps one foot in front of the other with your hands at your side, turn taking a series of small steps and walk back in the same manner. The last test is the one leg stand.  You have to raise one leg, hold your foot level to the ground, look at your toe and count 1/1000 2/1000 and so on.  Apparently I am very good at the latter two tests no matter how much I have been drinking, because if those were the only two tests that were to be preformed then they would have let me go.  The nystagmus test was the only "solid" proof of my intoxication.  

 

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those tests seem rather arbitrary to say the least.   But I guess it gives them a good indication as to whether or not to do a breath test.   All I could say is...I wouldn't mind being called on to help them out!  ; )

Nancy

Anonymous said...

A natural twitch & a natural witch?  

I had a police officer tell me he often parked right by a fast food place late on Friday & Saturday nights.....a very high % of people using the drive thru at that time are drunk. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I think they should have bought the champagne for you:).......alice

Anonymous said...

I'll drink to that, girlfriend!  LOL
Seriously, where can I go to sign up?
No, seriously...good for you doing your civic duty...lol, lol, lol
Sorry, the giggles got the best of me as I am imagining you drinking in front of a police officer and doing your civic duty and being a life coach, and all. ((smile)).
Karen

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we have that in common, people could seldom tell how much I drank either. Then again I wasn't drinking and driving. I've been off the computer the last week myself due to being imprisoned in TECH hell. Balance is a hard thing to come by in our lives, when we achieve it the serenity it brings is worth the effort in trying to find it. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I only need a sip of alcohol and I'm sure my blood alcohol level would be over the limit! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

My computer has been out twice in the last couple of weeks.  Connectivity problems.  As far as alcohol goes, I couldn't even be a drinker.  I think I would be too good of one (be able to drink way too much without feeling the effects), which would mean I was probably an alcoholic.  At some time it all would turn bad, and I would be sleeping in the streets or something.  So I will just stay away from the stuff, thank you very much!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

that was a fun thing to participate in! did they provide the champagne for you? permission to get drunk; my kind of day!

thanks for telling us what they test for when they run sobriety tests!! in my wild youth I was on the road when I shouldn't have been after drinking, as I got older and saw the consequences, those days stopped :)

betty

Anonymous said...

What fun...lol.  I would volunteer for that.  BTW.  I always do my journal entries in an email to myself and put it in "mail waiting to be sent".  Then I copy and paste into AOL journal entry.  That way, if AOL Journal messes up or loses it, I can retrieve it and copy it again.  Just a thought.  Have a good week.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

oh, don't give me any alcohol!  LOL  I would fail some of those tests anyway, because I have neurological problems.  Thanks for helping science, Rosemary.  LOL xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason