Monday, January 21, 2008

The Pen Is Mightier Then The Sword

 
The Pen is Mightier then the Sword
 
I was a very small child.   Come to think of it, I am a very small adult.   I learned at a very young age that if I ever got backed into a corner that there was no way my fists were going to get me out, and it wasn't my habit to carry a sword.
 
So, I learned that my words had better be able to do one of two things:
1. Keep me out of the corner.
2. Get me out of the corner.
 
Learning this required:
1. Learn when to keep your mouth shut.
2. Know your "enemies" better then anyone.
3. Stay Humble.
4. Kill them with kindness.  (this is a secret weapon, it totally disarms your opponent)
 
With this said, I have noticed that there have been some Jlanders that have been hurt by others words.
Here are some points to ponder:
 
1. Do they command your respect?
    A. If they have not earned your respect, how it possible that their words can hurt you?
    B.  If they have earned your respect is there truth in what they said that caused the hurt .
         (See #2)
 
2. Is there any truth to their word?
    NO?   Then why give them the satisfaction of entertaining them with a response?
   YES?   If there is truth in their words, then consider pondering them. 
              However, do not feel the need to respond to cruel remarks.
 
3. Consider cruel remarks from where they come, ignorance. 
   You can also use it as a case study of an opinion that is opposite your own.
 
4. Remember, you have the ability to control how you feel. 
 
 
In closing, we live in an amazing country that allows free speech.  Remember you have the power to inspire or destroy in your words.  You can be true to your thoughts and ideas while still respecting the rights of others. 
 
It isn't what you say, but how you say it!
 
Do not allow others to stifle your freedom, have faith in yourself and what you post!
 
Blessings and Happy Postings
~Rosemary

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything.
A wonderful post.

Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

Very well said and so true too.Have a lovely Monday. Take care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to put this into perspective.  I'm so glad I found your journal.  I have so enjoyed it.  I will share some of your thoughts with a couple of J-Landers that have had a problem with this very thing.  Thanks so much.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Boy, this is very good stuff....well done!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

very insightful and timely entry; I don't think it is a coincidence that the Bible has so many verses about controlling the tongue; I think we all need to think twice before we speak or in J-Land's case type. Wise advice to consider this Monday morning; thank you for writing it

betty

Anonymous said...

That is a good way to look at people, whether on-line or elsewhere

Anonymous said...

I've had a pissy comment or two.  I just look at it and mutter "Crackhead..." and move on.  Eh.  :-P

Happy Monday!!

::hug hug::

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Very profound! Thank you for sharing. I appreciate it very much.
Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Well said! One example for me would be the numerous emails I have gotten from people complaining about me constantly referring to my deafness within my own journal. At first I was offended, then realized for every complaint there was dozens who wrote how enlightend they are now toward a deaf individuals plight. My words help more than harm.....At the end of the day is the age old rule you can't please everyone...So why not please yourself with being satisfied your words mean something, if to no one else-You! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry because I have always known the power of words. They can make a man  feel ten feet tall - or lower than a worm. They can encourage him,  bless him, hurt him, uplift or destroy him. It truly pays to think before opening our mouths or writing that first sentence.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

i agree with you there. words can be a powerful tool. I am still learning, although with some members of my family, what ever you say it is going to be wrong because they are always right! I alway worry that what I write or say will be mis-read, especially in j-land and emails. it is too easy to get the wrong impression from the words that are used. I have found that in teaching (and with my husband and children) that the things i say can give confidence, they can also distroy a person too. a fine line to tread. take care mrs t xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mleppard06/eternity/

Anonymous said...

My mother taught me many of these same thoughts in this entry and it is all good and wise to share with our children too.  Helps on the job front too!!  Hugs,
Lisa