Monday, January 14, 2008

A Tribute

My sister passed away January 9, 2008

We had been estranged for the last five years.  Five years ago, when I had to ask her to step out of our lives because her drinking problem had started to affect our lives, I felt more sperated from her then I do now.

We had my sister cremated immediately and then we had a quiet mass on Saturday morning.  I planned the funeral with some help from the spirit, and my sister. (yes AFTER she passed)  Her 8 year old Grandson Davis did the first reading, Emily sang the responsorial psalm, did the second reading and sang a blessing acapela.  The grandchildren brought up the gifts. 
 
I did her eulogy.  This by far was one of the most difficult things I had to write.  Not because of the pain of her loss, that pain happened long ago.  I also believe that she is more so with me now then she was when she was a live.   This was difficult because it was important to me to celebrate the beautiful person she was and still stay respectful to the deep pain she caused for those that were there paying their respects.  I was very worried, but in the end everyone felt that I stayed true to her life and respected their pain.   Below is a copy of her Eulogy in case you want to read it.
 
 

I could go on for a while about my sister, but I have strict orders to keep it under four minutes as there is a funeral following us.  My sister would take great comfort in the fact that Murphy’s law strikes again.

 

My sisters life wasn’t easy and she fought a lot of demons.  Many times those demons spilled over into the lives of those she loved.  But if you were one of the people that Kathy loved, you knew it.   Kathy’s love was abundant and visibly evident.

 

Kathy had many passions, but her first one was her most passionate.

When I was a little girl she introduced me to Ben, the love of her life, who I quickly adopted as a brother.   Even though they eventually came to the end of their rainbow, and parted their separate ways, there was never anybody else in Kathy’s heart.  She always loved Ben and respected the husband and father that he was, and is.

 

Her other passions included Reading, Television, the color Red, Smiley faces, rainbows, butterflies, music, pet names and phrases, writing and psychology.

 

If you were Kathy’s friend, you knew it, you most likely had a pet name, and she would usually use it at nausium.  She also knew what your passions were and was excited to share them with you.  In addition, if you were ever in need, she was there for you.

 

If you were someone Kathy disliked, she would have a pet name for you, use it at nasium, but it was usually imaginatively malicious.

 

Kathy’s greatest passion, and what she felt she was best at, was being a Mom.  Now, I know that many can debate this and all things are relative, but I do know that she and Ben produced four of the finest people I know. 

 

Kathy believed in not only allowing a child to dream, and believe in their dreams, she believed in doing everything she could to help them live their dreams.

 

If you wanted to be Wonder Woman for Halloween, she didn’t go the store to buy a pre-made costume. Oh no, she recreated a close to authentic copy of this from scratch, and then made sure it had a custom fit.  Even if this meant sneaking you into a hospital days after having back surgery that she was supposed to take months of rehabilitation to recover from.

 

She made sure you had movie star glasses, cork screw curls, fluffy dresses and told everyone that Shirley Temple was imitating you, not the other way around.

 

And when you created art, it wasn’t just a nice thing that you didfor her.  This was quality art work that deserved to be hung in a gallery and sold for top dollar to the highest bidder and she treated it as such.

 

She also made sure you had super man pajamas complete with a cape.  When you ran to her because you hurt yourself  running, she would comfort you and ask if you got hurt because you were running.  Then she would laugh when you corrected her and said “No, I was flying!”

 

 

No event was too large or too small for Kathy either.  She prepared for a two hour picnic or a christening party in the same way. 

 

Like she was preparing for a Nuclear war.

 

 A three hour picnic in the park required a full two days worth of preparation, we needed to make certain we had not only the food and beverages, but we needed back up food, changes of clothes, toys, books and wet wash cloths in plastic baggies to clean up with.

 

Kathy wanted to make sure that good times were not spoiled by lack of planning.

 

If my sister loved you, she loved the people you love.  I know she loved Rich and she bragged quite a bit about Dave and Ronnie and how fortunate her girls were to have met such quality people.  And NO GUY’S  I am not just making this stuff up!  She actually said these things to me!

 

She was also a very proud grandmother.  You can tell this by all of the pictures and drawings we found at her house of Davis, Mackenzie and Emerson.  These were abundant and you knew in her heart, she found joy in them.

 

Kathy and I shared a  different, and perhaps to some, a slightly irreverent view of death.  We truly believe that death is a wonderful beginning and something to celebrate.  She didn’t want people crying that she was gone, she wanted them rejoicing for her and where she was going.  She didn’t believe that she was leaving us.  She believes that she is simply transformed and with us now in a better and happier form.

 

Most recently she came to know Brendan, who called her Aunt Nana, and it was yesterday morning that Brendan expressed how I think many of us  feel about her passing.

 

I had brought over Dunkin Munchkins for him and his cousins and Brendan was running over to share them with them.  Uncle Dave jokingly grabbed the box and said that they were for him.  Brendan’s little shoulder drooped, his head sagged and he let out a deep sigh and just stood there.  He knew they weren’t gone, they just weren’t there anymore.  And this was sad.  It wasn’t something to have a melt down over, because there would still be munchkins, it was just sad.

 

Kathy isn’t gone, she just isn’t here any more.  This is sad.  Parts of her life were sad, But the beauty she held inside her, the spirit of love and giving she shared will always be with us and lives on now in her children and her grandchildren.

 

And now I save the best for last, as my sister was so fond of doing.  I will leave you with the lines from one of her favorite songs.  It was her belief that a childs spirit and imagination should be diligently nurtured.  The song was specifically about just that, however it always reminded me how Kathy saw the world.

 

"There are so many colors in the rainbow, So many colors in the morning Sun, So many colors in the flowers, and I see everyone.

 

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, Ro...  

.....here's hoping your relationship with your sis will be better than ever...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your sister's passing and what a beautiful eulogy.  Somehow I see her smiling near a rainbow!  God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Please accept my condolences re the loss of your Sister. Sending up prayers fro the family that they find some comfort & have strength during this difficult time.
God bless,
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
note: Ab45yui sent me over.

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear of your loss... both times.  Prayers and good wishes going your way.
d

Anonymous said...

May I too send my most sincere sympathy in the death of your sister.   No matter what the circumstance of life with our families, when we loss one it somehow seems more painful.
May all the fond and good memories not elude you at the time.

Blessings,

Lori J

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear about your sister. may she rest in peace.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to your sister is very moving, beautifully written.
God bless you. I'm praying for your family.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

May perpetual light shine upon your dear Sister RIP.Beautiful words you have written here.Prayers for you and yours being said.Take Care god Blesss Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your lose my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Anonymous said...

I loved your eulogy.    I had only met your sister that one time...At Kathis wedding, and of course it was not at a time when I could REALLY see the woman she was, or had been.

I thought you wrote everything splendidly.     Sittin there in the pew, It brought tears to my eyes.    You helped all of us to understand how incredible of a woman she was in the "good" years.

xoxox~Donna

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you have lost your sister ,But the words in your eulogy told me she was a wonderful Lady ,and how much you loved her ,May she rest in peace now ...love Jan xx http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful! I am very sorry for your loss. She is at peace now and you and her have moved forward with the past, I wouldn't say it's late, I would say it was meant to be in the timing. YOu stepped up to the plate and I'm sure that made her smile.  Take time for you now.
Hugs
Pey

Anonymous said...

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your sister.  May she rest in peace.  Keep the good memories.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosemary,

I am sorry to hear you lost your sister.  My condolences are with you & and your family at this sad time.  May she rest in peace.

Leigh :-)
http://journals.aol.co.uk/edwardssoapy/LeighsWorld/"

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Eulogy! I'm sure your sister was touched by such thoughtful, loving words. She left footprints across your heart to let you know she will always be there. Love for your sister alone makes her spirit familiar to you. Stay safe and loved in this time of loss. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute. May she R I P.
Saw your link at Sugars journal, she asked her readers to visit & show support, I see many have already been by.
I'm saying a prayer for you in your time of need.
Rita

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching eulogy for your sister.  You summed her nature and character up so well that I saw her clearly and liked who she was very much.  Although she drank and caused havoc, a state which I have been familiar with in members of my family, deep down love never leaves us...does it?  Abhorrance for the demon drink takes its place for the duration of their addiction. Not hatred of the person.
I believe your sister is standing beside you and giving you the biggest hug ever!
I lost my brother on New Years Eve.  
Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
God Bless her and you and may she rest in peace.
Jeanie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes/

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but was saddened by your loss.  Thank you for sharing your words about your sister.  I am also astranged from a family member for similar reasons and pray every day that things change before something happens to either one of us.  God bless your family and you are all in my prayers.
Hugs and Luv, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to read about the loss of your sister.  I think you did a great job with writing the eulogy.  (((HUGS)))


Amy

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful tribute to your sister. I'm so very sorry. My condoalnces to you and the family. I'll have you all in my prayers.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sugar [sugarsweet056] pointed your journal out to me, and many others in J-land. I would like to offer my condolences to you and your family on your loss. Reading your tribute, I appreciate that there were considerable difficulties before Kathy's passing. Perhaps now she is free of the demons that were haunting her. I wish you and your family strength in coming to terms with your sister's death.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

I wanted to stop by and offer my sympathies to you & your family.  Your tribute to your sister was heartwarming.  
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/wwfbison/life-on-a-bison-farm

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...
And I didn't think many others knew that wonderful Harry Chapin song besides me.  She must have been a special one.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Please accept my offer of condolences.  You wrote such a beautiful eulogy for her.  Reading it, I felt as though I knew her.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of your sister; she sounded like a good mother and grandmother.

your eulogy you wrote was very touching and heart felt.

betty

Anonymous said...

hi, I am sorry to hear of your loss, your tribute was beautiful. mrs t x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mleppard06/eternity/

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosemary,
So sorry to hear of your sister's passing. May the demons that haunted her be put to rest now so you all can "live'' together in peace and celebrate the love you truly had for each other.
You always manage to rejoice in the good side of people-what a beautiful gift you possess-what a beautiful person YOU are!
God bless.................xoxoxo........Veronica

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.  The eulogy you wrote is very beautiful.  Please take care.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss.
And yes, your Eulogy was very beautiful!
My best wishes are with you. Maria

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your sister.

God Bless.
Tia

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a loved one, but their memory lives on in you....Phyllis