Wednesday, October 17, 2007

78 Years Of Inspiration!

78 Years Of Inspiration!

I work in an office with three women.  Well actually two of us work and one of them (my boss) plays games on her computer most of the day.  Our office is incredibly busy with enough work for four people.  We however make due with two.

 
One day a week, Tuesdays to be exact, Eleanor volunteers her time and comes in to help us.  Eleanor is 78 years old and was a clerk before she retired.  We do everything on the computer, however we are required to back up everything we do on paper incase (god forbid) the computers crash.  We have over 5000 students in our data base and each one requires a 5x7 index card holding all of their information.  These cards need to be printed out when a new student enrolls and then updated each year with each students class and sacrament information.  Eleanor checks each card after its printed to make certain the computer information matches the application information.  When all of the information is correct she then notes on each child's card what class they attended and if they are active.  This numbers about 2200 cards. Additionally she notes every Confirmation, First Communion, and First Reconciliation which number about 600 a year.
 
Yesterday, Eleanor came across a card of child who was placed in the sixth grade.  She brought the card to my attention and told me that this particular child had received Confirmation about 3 years ago and should be aged out of our program.  I looked at her in disbelief but I have learned never to second guess her.  I went into our archives and sure enough I found that the child had indeed received Confirmation three years ago!  Some how the card had accidentally been printed and the child placed in the wrong file.  Amazing, huh? She handles over 5000 records a year!  Yet, she was able to remember a single child.  I say again, Amazing, huh?  Inspirational, YES!
 
Here is a woman who comes in once a week, she is 78 years old, and she is still at the top of her game!  Now that inspires me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good grief....I can't remember what I did yesterday.  ;-P

~Amy