Monday, October 15, 2007

An Inspirational Child

 Age7

An inspirational child
 
When my oldest two children were in grammar school, I was the crossing guard at the school they attended.  This worked out well for all concerned for a variety of reasons.  Most of all I knew almost all the kids and parents that were in my children's grades. 
 
This didn't always work out well for my boys.  Often there were times when one of their "friends" would run to my corner as soon as school would let out.  They would inevitably have some bit of juicy gossip involving one or both of my children.  Needless to say it was nearly impossible for my kids to get away with anything.
 
One afternoon my youngest son's third grade teacher was walking towards me.  His teacher and I are very good friend's so I notice that she look very serious.  I immediately try to imagine what kind of sticky situation Ritchie had gotten himself into now.
 
Now Ritchie is a dream child, he is a lover, not a fighter.   When he used to get into trouble, it was always because he was just looking for a little bit of fun, not because he had malicious intent.  He was also a child who was impossible to get mad at.  As soon as you reprimanded him, he was immediately contrite and quick to offer restitution.  I was guessing what ever mess he had gotten into  he would probably have to stay late to clean up.
 
I couldn't have been more wrong.  When his teacher reached me she said "Rosemary, I just had to come out to tell you what Ritchie did.  I couldn't believe it!  I had to step out of the room because I started to cry."
 
"OH GOD! What did he do!" I said with horror.
 
"Oh, Rosemary, it was the sweetest thing I have ever seen!  Our book order came in today and a number of the boys ordered a book about Aliens, Ritchie included.  The book came with a little rubber alien attached to it and all the boys were so excited about it, most especially Ritchie.  (Ritchie always knew how to take pleasure in the simple things)  Well at the end of the day one of the boys aliens were missing.  The whole class helped look for it.  We looked everywhere!  It was no where to be found and the boy who lost his alien started crying.  Just then, Ritchie walked over to the boy and gave him HIS alien!  I couldn't believe it.  I knew how much Ritchie loved his, and he just gave it to the boy and walked away!  That was the sweetest thing I have ever seen!"
 
His gift came with now stings attached.  He knew from his heart how to heal someone.  He is 19 years old now.  He is one of the most amazing people I know.  
 
Ritchie is a very giving person.  I am so blessed that he is my son.  I continue to learn from him and how to be giving.  He is a constant reminder to me to keep in mind, it is better to give then to receive. 
 
His gift came with now stings attached.  He knew from his heart how to heal someone.  He is 19 years old now.  He is one of the most amazing people I know.  
 
 
Ritchie on his 19th Birthday in August.  He is also a comedian!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hee....I have one of those!  He's 9 going on 40.

~Amy