Thursday, September 20, 2007

Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly!

The Yellow Garden Spider aka Argiope aurantia

Some things are exactly what they look like!  Had I seen this I might not have been so anxious to retrieve the basil from my garden.  This spider was almost two inches big, the picture is almost life size.  When I saw my had had been right nest to it I did say "EEEEKKKK".

Sometimes not knowing what is coming is OK.  This spider is harmless and only bites if provoked.  So even though danger seemed to be lurking, it was only my perception and not a reality.  Again I quote Aristotle:

To perceive is to suffer.  ~Aristotle

 

I actually think spiders are really cool, they are just scary when they creep up on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any spider in my house has a death wish.  If I don't get it, the cats will...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I must have had this little fellows buddy who was visiting me right outside my front door .    lol   I left him there to ward off folks from knocking.     I figured between the spider and the cats no mosquito or moth had a chance of coming in also.  

~Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary,
I'm sure even Aristotle would have recoiled at the sight of that refugee from a Horror Movie.  It looks like it landed next to your basil just in time for Halloween.
Best,
Marty