Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Offended

Today we will discuss dealing with judgmental people who believe they are being offended.

Here is a recap of that group: The offended:  This type of person is jealous or they take personal offense to whatever behavior they are judging you for.  They tend to either shun you or talk behind your back

 
This type of judgmental person can be either fun to deal with or easy to deal with.  It depends on which way you choose to do so.
 
The easy way is to just ignore them.  That usually drives them nuts.  You can also take their "insults" as a compliment.  This not only drives them nuts, confuses them and scares them away.
 
The Fun way to deal with this type, and this may strictly be an opinion, is to help them learn that their opinion is not necessarily the truth.  I gave you one example at the beginning of the week when I told the story of changing my daughters judgmental opinion.  Here is an example from my youth.
 
When I was growing up I had to deal with people who thought I was a "rich bitch."  These people would shun me, be rude, or down right nasty.  They were offended by their belief that I had money and was more well off then them.  They thought that if I was rich I would automatically look down at them and be nasty, so they decided to be nasty first.  They took personal offense to my "wealth".   At the time I didn't know why people were being nasty to me, it wasn't something I learned until I grew up and was at a reunion.  It was then that they told me they were jealous of me because I was "rich."  I asked them what ever led them to believe such a thing, because I was by no means rich.  They answered "Well you were driven to school in your Rolls Royce by a chauffeur everyday."  The chauffeur was my father, the car was his bosses, and he would drop me off at school on his way to work.  They were shocked, learned a lesson, and apologized for their behavior.  I thanked them and assured them I held no ill will.  We had a few drinks together and enjoyed each others company the rest of the evening.
 
This type of judgmental person can be a challenge, but if you try to see things from their point of view and use a little of your own imagination, you can really turn a bad situation around.  Choosing which method to use and when, will be very circumstantial.  Either way, remember, do not allow someone else's judgmental opinion damage your self worth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an example of why I follow the rule..... Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.    The "offenders" are the kinds of people who make a clear cut judgement based on the skimming surface of what theyve heard or what they see without truely actually knowing the hows and the why fors.     I laugh at these kinds of people.

These are the types of people who most always jump to conclusions about everything without getting all the facts.  

~Donna

Anonymous said...

And all this time you thought those people from your youth were "offened jealous judgmental" types, when all it came down to was a lack of facts.  Imagine how much sooner you all would've understood each other if someone had bothered to ask you about that Rolls.  CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/