Monday, August 18, 2008

Learning.

If I ride my motorcycle to my office and I want a cup of coffee I have to walk two blocks to get it.  I love the walk.  Gives me a few minutes break to clear my mind.  Learning popped into my mind.  I was trying to think of a topic to cover this week and various journal/blog posts have been touching on the same thing... learning.  Some spoke of back to school, others of lessons their children are learning the hard way, and others wondering if their children will ever learn.

So, this week shall be about learning.

As I was walking, I thought mostly about how hard it is being a child.  I believe it is more difficult now then it was when I was a child, but all in all, childhood is hard!

One of the posts I came across that really highlighted this to me was Marlene over at "One Day At A Time" who wrote :   I am watching Michael Phelps and his mother  being interviewed.  He is telling stories of how he was always bullied and picked on throughout his life.  Well  to everyone that picked on this kid,  he can finally say "PFFFFT."

I didn't get to see this interview but I wish I had.  As I watched Michael being interviewed after his race's I was touched by his humility, grace and thankfulness.  He was so sincere.  I thought to myself that this kind of genuine response is something that often times is learned the hard way.  According to Marlene it seems I was correct.

It is unfortunate that children often times are the brunt of others cruelty.  Many schools are trying to institute programs to correct it however, it is unlikely that we will ever live in a perfect world and be completely free of bullying. 

I believe the key lies in not only teaching children not to bully others, but in teaching children how to handle bullying as well.

From the look and sound of it, it seems Michael Phelps mom did a pretty good job of it.  It is not an easy process and takes years.   As a young mother I wanted to protect my children from the cruelty of others words. I did not want them to have to suffer like I had to.   Little did I know that I would have a father in law that would undermine this at every turn. (I remember once he asked my two year old son when he was going to grow up.)  I would not be able to escape this. 

I quickly learned that it would be impossible to protect my children from the cruelty of others, but I was able to teach them what I learned on how to deal with it.  When the boys learned how to do this, they were better equipped when they went to school and the children's words had less of an effect on them.  I found it was more difficult to help my daughter with this then it was my sons as girls tend to be more emotional, however, she learned also.

So, how do you teach a child to deal with others cruelty.  Here are some suggestions.

1.  Access what the other is saying.
Is there any truth to it?  If there is... perhaps you need to change your behavior.  Children are brutally honest and often times don't know of a nice way to say something.  Sometimes we need to change our behavior.  If not, acknowledge that there is nothing wrong with you and move on.
 
2.  Find your happy place. 
(They were always surprised at how well this one worked.)  Ignore them.  Don't listen. Don't respond.  They want you to be upset and respond.  If you don't.  They will stop.
 
3.  Do not drop down to their level.
Do not respond to them by insulting them or putting them down.  Do not join in if they are being mean to others.  Do what you can to help others who are being treated cruelly.
 
4.  Understand where they are coming from.
Many times cruelty stems from something that has nothing to do with the person one is being cruel to.  Understanding that ones cruelty towards you really has nothing to do with you, and all to do with them, can go a long way in dealing with the word and actions that you experience.  It won't stop the person being cruel.  It will change how your respond to it.
 
5.  Talk it out.
Sometimes the pain hurts so much that you can't even think straight to do any of the above.  That's OK too.  Come home and talk about it.  Cry about it.  Yell about it.  Once you are through that front door of your house, you have found sanctuary.  Here you are loved and we will help heal the pain.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific entry Rosemary.  I am printing it out and intend to sit down with my grandson and talk to him about this.  During the summer he got into a fist fight with another (much older) boy because the boy called him a sissy.  He is 7 and decided to be "Billy Bad-A**" and layed into him.  Fortunately it was stopped before anyone was seriously hurt.  The "Sticks and Stones" speach didn't seem to help but I think your suggestions might in the future.  Thanks  GF.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent, excellent entry, Rosemary and much needed.  Valerie and I were talking, about this the other day, and we came up with exactly the same points!  We called number 2 "Chin up!" (Ignore them.  Don't listen.  Don't respond.)  We called this chin up, because my Mom would say, when somebody was attacking us, if we knew we were not in the wrong, then "Chin up", "don't worry about it, let them say what they want, you can take the brunt of it, it doesn't mean anything anyway, you know what they are saying isn't true, don't let it effect you..."  Just, "Chin up".  That has helped me through life.  But first you must consider what they have to say, as you stated in number one, b/c there could be some truth in it.  If there IS something you need to change then change it.  So did you read Val's blog (There is a Season)?  She did an entry similar to this.  It wasn't about bullying per say, but about criticism, and when two people who are at odds, how they should behave towards each other.  She made a lot of similar points.  It was a good entry.  Thanks again for posting this Rosemary, it is excellent.  Not just for children, but for us adults too! :)

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Good advice Rosemary.  I wonder what makes kids be so mean.
If only this whole problem didn't exist.  The world could be a much nicer place.                   Marlene

Anonymous said...

Very good advice!
Missie

Anonymous said...

These days it's great advice to follow. Kids in this latest generation seem colder and emotionally devoid. I know when respect is taught at home and given it shows in a childs reactions. You see it time after time with a kid that is a bully, when something is said to the parents the same bullying attitude comes through from them.

I once told my daughter bullies are that way because they are afraid. Bullies are angry individuals and the roots of most anger is fear. She took that one to heart and instead of fearing them actually pitied them. The confidence that comes through often stops a bully. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Very good points. Here is the main problem I see, as I stated on a comment I left about mistreatment of others on a different blog a while back, many adults(that is where kids learn it from) articulate one thing, but do another. We can talk about kinder, gentler people & love your neighbor, but it doesn't help unless we SHOW this to children.  I mentioned on the other comment I left for someone that I once watched someone mistreat a handicapped person, & the man doing the mistreating was wearing a T-shirt that said Free Tibet.  Free Tibet, but screw over the handicapped?

Anonymous said...

I like what Indigo said; I also think this is excellent advice, Rosemary!!!

(and I think its awesome you are back in the saddle so to speak :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Great entry.... Good advice!!  I'm thinking the hardest time of life is being a teenager, the peer pressure really matters then.

Joann

Anonymous said...

What a great entry.  I agree with you on how hard it is for kids growing up today.  Luckily my two never encountered school bullying.  Saying that however didn't prepare them for adult bullying which we encounter everyday whether it's at the grocery store, or the park.  We live in an area where there are loads of retired folks, who just can't deal with the "young" kids in their way.  It's sad, but it's so true.  The way my son handles it is he finds every opportunity to lend a hand, be it opening a door or cutting a lawn.  Great words of wisdom.  Thanks Sue.

Anonymous said...

Great points, Rosemary. May I add that "example" is the best teacher but kids don't always get to see a parent is these situations for an example so what you have here is really good:)............alice

Anonymous said...

hi rosemary great entry and great advice, i have printed this off to help with my boys. we have started to talk about it already, but I think I will have to show him! I found it useful for me too, you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!lol take care mrs t xx