Monday, June 4, 2007

You'll Try?

On Friday night my 19 year old son had a few friends over.  When I woke Saturday morning I found three boys sleeping in my den.  The boys were eating breakfast when my 12 year old daughter came to me and asked “Can I take a shower"

 

I answered “yes, but you only have ten minutes so you have to be fast”

 

“I’ll try” she replied.

 

“There is no trying there is only doing” I stated.

 

From the breakfast table of boys I heard “I like that!  It sounds like something from a movie.”

 

The other boys chimed in and agreed.  They started throwing movie titles around that they thought the line would fit in; Karate Kid and Rocky were the top favorites.

 

I smiled and said “No, it’s a personal quote used when there is no room for anything but action."

 

Is there something you are “trying” to do that you really should be doing?

 

(By the way, the shower only took ten minutes!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a quick shower!  I remember those teenage years well.
My own daughter took longer than that in the shower but much too long one day so I went to see why out of curiosity.
She was watching her portable TV from the shower which she had set up on the landing....*********!!!  Sheeesh!


“There is no trying there is only doing”

I must have used that quote a few times over the years too.  I can even see the slumped over backs and the feet dragging too...hahahaha!

Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rosemary, I am reading some of your early entries!  By the way, in the movie The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda asked Luke to do something, and Luke said, "I'll try."  Yoda said emphatically, "No, do or do not, there is no try."  John and I were talking about this very subject the other day, and he reminded me of the above quote (word of wisdom) from Yoda!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink