Monday, August 6, 2007

Scarlet O'Hara

The Scarlet O'Hara Method of Dealing With Worry
 
 
 
Well, I guess I've done murder. I won't think about that now. I'll think about that tomorrow.                       ~ Scarlet O'Hara
 
 
 
 
Now scarlet really hadn't committed murder.  She simply defended Melanie's honor and herself.
 
There is the Scarlet O'Hara Method of dealing with worry.  Worry about it tomorrow!  If you really feel the need to worry, put a time limit on it.  It's very simple and practical.  It also works!
 
Whatever it is you are worried about., when you start to notice yourself worrying, say to yourself, "I will worry about it tomorrow."  If that doesn't make you automatically stop worrying, put a time limit on how long you will focus on worrying about it.  Then worry for only as long as your limit, then put it aside for tomorrow.
 
For instance: Let's say you are worried that your car will break down.  As soon as the thought enters your head, stop and say to yourself, "I can't worry about that now, I will worry about that tomorrow!"  If you continue to worry, take a look at your watch, say to yourself, "I will only think about this for 5 minuets, then I won't allow myself to think about it again, until tomorrow."  Now go ahead an worry, imagine all the things you usually do. When the five minutes are up, stop worrying! Yup, just stop, and think about it tomorrow.  It will still be there if you choose to worry about it.  In the mean time, you will be able to focus on today, instead of your worry. 
 
It tomorrow you start to worry about your car again, repeat the above process only each day, lessen the amount of time you will allow yourself to worry.
 
This exercise requires discipline but its rewards are many.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that idea.  Good one!