Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Enlightenment!

 
I have been "absent" for a few days as I have been studying and resting.  I recently heard of a book called "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.  It re-awakened something in me I had forgotten.  It also helped me understand how to explain this truth I have come to know.
 
I know this is a particularly long entry and it is also a rare one as I do not often talk about myself.  That is not the purpose of this journal.  I do believe however it is important for those who come here to know me and where my coaching comes from.  So, should you find interest, please continue.
 
The story I share with you now is to illustrate what Mr. Tolle's book is about.  I share it only because it was a gift given to me and one I would like to share with you.
 
I was a very small child.  The smallest in my class.  I was also always the "new kid" as I had to change school's two times a year.  I got beat up and teased a lot.
 
When I was six I received a particularly brutal beating on the play ground.  In actuality it was a fenced in parking lot with a black top surface.  On this occasion the play ground was in Florida and in Florida they reinforce their black top with crushed shells.  It makes the surface sturdy, but jagged and sharp.  If you fall, at the very lest you are going to need Band-Aid's on your knees and hands.
 
I was in the center of a group of kids and they were hitting me and kicking from one side of the circle to the other.  When they grew tired of this, one boy grabbed both my feet and one boy grabbed my hands and they started swinging me like they were going to toss a me.  I remember the last time someone did this to me.  My sister and her husband and "tucked" me into bed this way, it was great fun.  This however was different.  There would be no soft landing.
 
I remember crying and begging them to stop, wishing they would stop, praying they would stop.  As the boys were swinging me something happened.   I wasn't angry.  I felt sad and overwhelming pity for the children who were tormenting me.  I knew that it wasn't truly them who were doing this to me. Through all of this, only their humanity shone through.
 
They eventually decided not to toss me, and just dropped me instead, which I was grateful for, but more so, I was thankful that awakening.  That first time I was able to be in the  moment and realize that I didn't have to let it change me.
 
Through out my life there were more times when I had moments like these, and many times I was given the gift of seeing that awakening in another person.
 
The book "A New Earth" reminded me of many of the truths that I had come to know when I was young.  I hadn't forgotten them nor did I stop applying them, I just didn't realize all of the times and places and situations I could apply them to.  I look forward to a fuller awakening and enlightenment and hope that many will join me.
 
It is the path to peace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap, Ro!  :-/  Kids mimic what they're shown.....so you have to wonder what their home life was like, too...

I know experiences shape who you are and all that, but I wish you would have never had to go through something like that.

love you!!

~Amy

Anonymous said...

so sorry you were teased like this; not right how we treat each other, especially at such a young age

I get what you are saying; I've had similar experiences of viewing people like that

I'm curious, why so many moves? that is hard to keep changing schools like that

betty

Anonymous said...

an awful thing to happen to anyone, especialy a young child. i am amazed at your insight into this, i would find it hard to see anything but bullies. you are amazing to be able to see past the bully and see the humanity. take care mrs t xx
http:journals.aol.co.uk/mleppard06/eternity/

Anonymous said...

I will have to look into the book when the funds come back. That is a very young age to be that perceptive of others own hurtings. Amazing, yet sad all in the same twist.
My kids are all home today, so maybe we can do the phone tomorrow?? I really don't like being interupted over and over with the phone and kids :( Snow day here.  
Hugs
Ang

Anonymous said...

That's what Oprah call's an Ah Ha moment.  Thanks for sharing that little story.  I will look for that book next time I'm in the book store.  Have a great rest of the week.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I bought the book but haven't started reading it yet. It sound's very interesting by what you have written.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Kids tend to have an undeveloped cruelty, unless they are taught different. I know exactly what that is like.....The taunts because you are small, different, halfbreed, disabled....

I think the inner awakening always seems to come about when we need it most. For me it was always in the midst of turmoil and pain. Almost as if I could step outside what was happening and see it for what it was...In more than one occasion I wish I could of shut that door instead.....

But then again an Empath never truly escapes her gift does she? To feel her own pain as well as anothers acutely. (Hugs) Indigo