Monday, April 7, 2008

You Suck!

Ok did I get your attention?  Now, I know you don't suck, but do YOU know you don't suck?
 
Last week I got more then a few comments and e-mails saying that it was difficult for you to believe in yourself.  I can understand that completely.  However, even the slightest part of you got offended by the title of today's entry, then the possibility exists that you CAN and most likely DO believe in yourself.
 
This weeks journal is going to be an IN YOUR FACE challenge.
 
Last week I talked about resolutions and goal setting.  I explained that one of the most important things that one needed to succeed was the ability to believe in yourself.  There were more then a few that said this was the most difficult part of the project.  Sometimes one finds it difficult, if not impossible, to believe in oneself.  There are many reasons for this, maybe you don't feel worthy because you were told you weren't growing up, or maybe you were told it was a form of bragging, or perhaps you just don't believe you are allowed to believe in yourself.  This week I am going to offer you a few questions for you to think about.
 
On Thursday, I am going to lay down a challenge at Magic Smoke that will involve the work you do here this week.
 
Today's question is:  What is preventing you from believing in yourself?  Feel free to leave a comment, or e-mail me. However if it is too personal, keep it in a private journal somewhere, or just close to your heart, but be able to answer the question.  It will help you as we go along.
 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must be honest here and say that I don't really have a problem believing in myself.  I can usually conquer everything I try.  Sometimes, it's not perfect, but I at least tried and that alone gives me confidence.
Missie

Anonymous said...

low self-esteem; fear; anxiety

this is interesting, Rosemary, I'm looking forward to reading more of what you say

I do have to say it is important to believe in ourselves and also in the One that made us because I can't get through this life on my willpower but His real power :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is heavy... fear of failure, fear of success, tapes playing in my head.  Mostly the tapes in my head.  I look forward to your posts in Magic Smoke.  Hey, I haven't smoked in five days.  I am using Chantix.  It is making me darn sick, though.  I may have to stop taking it.  I will have to white knuckle perhaps.  I don't know.  Well, I have other coping mechanisms, but it won't be so easy, I know.  ~sigh~  Hope you are having a great start to your week, Rosemary!  Love, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

I think a fear of failure is my worst enemy. If I feel like I am not succeeding or when things become so overwhelming in my life, I allow myself to give up and focus on something else. It is like I have 10 things that need to be fixed in my life, and each time there is a problem, I feel like I am back stepping. (Even though in my mind, I know I am making progress in other areas)

However, I know why I do the things that I do. This life style change journey has taught me more about who I am, and what I want out of life than I ever knew before. I just have to keep that motivation, and accept that I am making progress but it is just a time consuming situation. (Rome wasn't born in a day)

Best Wishes
Gina

PS. Thanks for the kind words that you left me on my journal.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with low self-esteem Rosemary.  My parents taught me that I can do anything and, by golly I usually can...lol.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I once told someone that one of the (millions of) things I love most about them is that they "Help me see a better me." It is an incredible gift, one that I cherish and hope to expand on and keep for the rest of my life. How's that for an answer, Rosemary? hugs xox sarah

Anonymous said...

No problem with self-esteem here but it didn't happen overnight.....alice :)

Anonymous said...

The subject of this entry reminded me of a book I read a few years ago that I really loved!! Damn, I can't think of the name of it! I still have it, let me go find it and I'll email it to you. Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

What is preventing me from believing in myself?  Fear of failure, fear of success, old tapes from childhood, not enough faith in myself because I often think others can do it better!, others putting me down at times, insecurity.  Would that be enough, LOL?  However, I am getting better!  With the help of the Lord, and a couple of other good folks to help me, I am turning my life around. ;)

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

hi rosemary, for many years i had low self esteem thanks to an awful boyfriend and coming 2nd to a younger sister, but a lot of work later i decided that i was who i was and if people didn't like me then they were not worth being part of my life. I do still struggle with making friends, i have 1! (physical!) but i do believe in myself more than i did. i still have moments and phases of self doubt, but deep down i know that i can do it. I failed my last teaching practise, my tutor said i was tenacious! i suprised everyone by sorting out money to retake and gain my degree! I have had struggles with setting up my business, even at these early stages, i had my night of self pity, got up the next day and sorted it out! So i guess that I have to remember these moments in my life when i overcome the fear and succeeded, when i get self doubt. thanks for the reminder and reassurance that reading your journal and commenting has helped me to remember these things. take care mrs t xx