Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Make S.M.A.R.T. Goals

 
This is the 3rd time I am trying this post.
 
I decided to do another video blog, however for those of you who have a slow connection or are hearing impaired I have provided a transcript.
 
Why is the video done in my car?
 
1. It is my mobile office.  2.  I thought the acoustics would be better.  3.  It is easier to control  interruptions.  4.  I had the time there.
 
Why am I video blogging?
 
1,  I am able to critique myself.  2. Others are able to critique me.  3.  Some folks hate to read, but love to relax and listen.
 
For those of you who want to know how to do a YouTube video my "How I Did It" is below.
 
 
 
Transcript:
 
If you tried yesterdays suggestion you now have a fairly clear vision of what you  want to accomplish.  It is not time to break it down and create S.M.A.R.T. goals.
 
That is goals must be
 
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely
 
This will assure that you will have the greatest possibility of attaining success.
 
Since many of you commented that you wanted to loose weight, I will use that as an example on how to create S.M.A.R.T. goals.  These techniques will apply to any goal you wish to accomplish.
 
First: Be Specific.  How much weight do you want to loose.  Put a number on it!
 
Second: Make it Measurable.  With loosing weight, this one is easy.  You have a scale.  Get on it at a pre-determined day each week.
 
Third:  Make certain it is attainable.  If you want to loose more then 10 pounds, you will want to break down the amount into smaller increments.
 
Fourth:  Make it Realistic.  There are a ton of "diets" out there that claim that they can help you loose 10lbs in one week.  While this may be possible, it isn't realistic.  You may bring about the weight loss you want however it will not bring about the change you want.  You want to loose the weight and keep it off.  This requires an entire life change.
 
Fifth:  Make it timely.  Put dates on the pound.  Do you want to loose five pounds? Set a goal date.  If today is April 1, 2008 then set a goal for two weeks time.  Commit to loosing the wight by April 15th.
 
Ok, now you have your goal and you are very specific on what it is and when you want to accomplish it by.  To further complete your S.M.A.R.T. goals write down what you are going to do to achieve them.
 
Journaling helps a great deal in accomplish our goals.  When we write each day about what it is we are working for, where we succeed and where it is we had the most difficulties, then we have something concrete to encourage us and to learn from.
 
Things to consider and commit to that will support your S.M.A.R.T. goals are:
 
How much water are you going to commit to drinking each day?
How many calories are you going to eat each day?
How are you going to exercise and how often?
Who are you going to choose to hold you accountable?
 
Write these goals down and measure them daily.  Keep track of what you eat, when, where and what your mood was.  Keep a log of your exercise and make sure you have measurable improvement each week. 
 
 
If you are using a diet plan, make certain that it doesn't consider it a "diet".  Weight loss plans such as Dr. Phil's, Body For Life, Weight Watchers are excellent because they teach you how to eat, not diet.  Always check with your Doctor before beginning any new dietary plan.
 
Tomorrow we will discuss step three.
 
 
HOW I DID IT.
 
How to do a YouTube Video:
 
1. I have a regular Kodak camera that has a video setting.  I put the camera on a tripod.  Positioned camera and hit the timer.
 
2.  Shot the video.
 
3. Uploaded it to my computer
 
4. Edited it taking of the exciting part at the end where you get to see the sky, the car door and my shoes.
 
6. Went to my YouTube account (its free) and uploaded it.  Make certain that they have the correct format WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG.  This can take a while.  This video took about 15 min to upload.
 
7. Then wait.  You have to wait a bit while the video is processed through YouTube, but once it is done you can embed it in your journal just like any other video.
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Rosemary.  Great job and the weight thing hits me right in the face.  I will have to think about this for a while.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Love the video blog.

Best Wishes
Gina

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, I love when you do a video blog!! its fun to be able to listen instead of always read an entry!! these were great suggestions; LOL, keep them coming; I'm day 2 into dieting, doing good, but I know its a changed habit/lifestyle so all motivation like this will be helpful

I had to laugh that your car is your office, but I can imagine you go to people rather than they come to you

betty

Anonymous said...

I wish I had something other than dial-up but I don't and it would cost me about $70.+ out here for broadband or whatever else is out there. I would love to hear your video. Anyway, you have some great advice and a lot of people could benefit to take heed. Thanks........alice ps never to late to start

Anonymous said...

It's not easy, looking into a camera and talking without notes. So I would like to say you are very SMART! Also you look very nice on camera. Don't be afraid to smile, you have a world-class smile! That car of yours looks like a good place to work. Anyway, thanks, as usual. hugs, xox Sarah

Anonymous said...

dude.  i dig that sweater.  ;-P

::hug hug::

~A

Anonymous said...

great suggestions, i am coping them down and will go through them with the girls (mum&sis) i did something similar with the business set up i wrote a 3 month plan set goal for each month, i am in month 2 and keeping to it so far! i will have to look at doing it for  other areas of my life. As for the journal... i used to write one but i find it hard to keep up with everything at the moment so maybe when i am more organised i can use my aol journal? take care and thanks for the advice. mrs t xxx