Sunday, July 15, 2007

Don't Leave Me Here!

Don't Leave Me Here!

I don't usually get personal in my Blog, but a resent experience seems important to share.  I just returned from California where I visited family I haven't seen in almost 10 years.  Our first full day there was the 4th of July (INDEPENDENCE DAY!) and we traveled to a nearby town called Los Gatos.  On our way to the town I was describing my business and how a painting done by Mackenzie Thorpe had come to represent all that I believe will happen in my life.  I was explaining how my two favorite artists were Michael Parks and Mackenzie Thorpe.  I also explained how I had the good fortune to see an original Michael Parks in Palm Beach Florida (extremely rare) and continued to explain that I was planning on purchasing a Mackenzie Thorpe print in the near future. 

Said Print: Entilted "The Miracle To Come"

When we arrived in Lost Gatos most of the shops were closed due to the holiday so we enjoyed window shopping.  As we walked we came upon a gallery.  This particular gallery was featuring Mackenzie Thorpe!  To make a very long story short, I lost my camera that day and we went back to town two days later to search for it.  We stopped in the gallery and I was able to enjoy Mackenzie's genius.  While doing so, I spoke with the proprietor of the gallery and she showed me the print:

The name of this print is "Don't Leave Me Here!"

She told me that he explained this painting to her.  Look at the painting.  The house has no window's and no door's.  There is no way back in.  Everything is gone.  The person (you) now sits on the ledge.  You cannot turn back and you are afraid of what lies ahead.  If you notice in the painting, darkness shrouds the house. The light is coming from the unknown, yet we sit and wait.  While we sit and wait we call out, "Don't Leave Me Here!"
 
Are you sitting and waiting for someone or something to make your decisions for you?  Are you sitting on that ledge calling out "Don't Leave Me Here?" 
 
You may have the perception that others hold the key to your lock.  They don't.  Only you do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I like the 'personal' you..  ;-)

One of my favorite prints is called Calamity of Touch.  At first look, it has a darker look to it (to most people) but when I look at it... I see a melancholy beauty...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Awesome about the painting.  I am sorry you lost your camera, but if you hadn't you would have missed this opportunity.  

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a very good title for that picture...
Lisa