Friday, March 21, 2008

Humbling

I usually do not share my personal beliefs, however tonight I celebrate the gift of being humbled.

I also think (KNOW) Jesus had a sense of humor:

Yesterday was Good Friday.

Since 1994 the Youth Minister at my church has asked me to work with the teens. Tonight I did!  I have been fighting it for that long!  Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't really think a bunch of kids would want to listen to me.  Also,  I have been deathly afraid that my own opinions might come out which would not set well with the magisterium.

To anyone who knows me casually I appear very "religious", which  I am not.  I am very spiritual.  My beliefs are my own and come from a very varied background including Paganism, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism and others.  I grew up going to Cathoic School from 1-12 grade.  I am also Irish and have strong celtic roots, I had to stop denying that. I describe myself as a Catholic Witch.  (yeah, I know, don't try) (if you want to try though, e-mail me)

My life experience has insisted on this wide range of study.

Yesterday I spoke on the one thing I believe in.  Peace through non-violence. I challenged the teens to allow themselves to be "crucified."  I spoke on personal experience. By the age of 6 I had been sexually abused, beaten, and abducted.  When I was a little girl I was emotionally abandoned by all and only had Jesus as a friend. Jesus was a very good friend.  The Jesus I know is much like Buddha, Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin.  (Which explains why I had to do a lot of study!)  He was there, loving, fun, non-judgmental.

This is a very brief synopsis of what I spoke on.  I explained that all I had was Jesus and even as he hung on the cross he asked his Father to forgive those that persecuted him.  As a child I was beaten up regularly by other children.  My mother would ask me why I didn't fight back. 

My Answer:  Well for one, Jesus didn't, and he was there for me when she wasn't.  And two, because I knew how bad it hurt and I didn't want to hurt anyone that way.  I figured that they just didn't know what they were doing.

It turned out, they didn't.  Because I didn't fight back, God, the Universe, Jesus, allowed me to see the others change of heart.  Many times those that had hurt me learned a different way.  For this I have the Lord and Lady to thank.  I would gladly go through it all again.

I challenged these teens to do the same.  To be vulnerable long enough to allow another to change.

I was humbled.  They listened.  They really listened. The Spirit allowed me to touch some hearts.  I don't know if anyone has ever stood in front of a group of teenagers before and had every mouth shut and every eye focused, but it was humbling. 

This helped me to believe that someday, there will be peace on earth.  What more of a gift could anyone want?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would tag this entry with these tags:  immolation, oblation, sacrifice, suffering.
I can understand suffering as Jesus suffered, and just offering it up.  Turning the other cheek. Trying to sacrifice.  If we did that, we could truly change a hateful person's heart and bring them around to the Lord, and to seeing things differently, if we choose to suffer and not complain.  Although I would caution that fighting back is definitely sometimes okay.  Just my opinion.  But I agree with you a lot.  

Got a question though.  Uhm, and I am too tired to email.  Catholic Witch????????

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I don't recall ever reading where Jesus raised his hand back when he was struck, it does make one think.  

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything more meaningful than working with young people and making a difference in their lives. I also had a very diverse religious background and because of that, as a young adult, I read and studied everything I could get my hands on about all the different religions of the world. I also consider my self very spiritual yet not religious in the traditional sense. Some may thing I'm religiously confused, but I believe just the opposite - enlightened, nonjudgmental and completely accepting. I believe in all religions and I think the Big Guy does too. I also believe He has a sense of humor -- come on, have you ever seen a platupus? LOL! Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your past, Rosemary. Clinging to Jesus then (and now) must have helped you get through the darkest of days

I liked your "lesson" with the teens; I'm sure it made an impact.

The Lord has a sense of humor; I know that for sure. Twelve years ago, while looking for a new job, I told my husband "any place but Montana"; we went to Santa Fe for 2 years (disaster) then ended up guess where? Montana! I know the Lord was just laughing on that one because he knew when I said that 2 years earlier that 2 years later I was going to be moving there. Best thing for us too; loved my 8 years there.

I'm not even going to touch the line about the Catholic witch or your beliefs; I decided not to pursue too much more the differences in what we belief and try to respect your opinions

betty

Anonymous said...

OK Rosemary.  I loved what you taught the children and I too believe that their is some truth in every religion.  But...what in the world is a Catholic Witch?  And when you mention "Lady", who are you referring to?  Have a wonderful Easter.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

That must have been an incredibly powerful message to those teens, one that I am sure they never will forget! Reflecting on your life experience, I can tell from reading your entries that you have a sensitivity from those scars that helps everyone you come in contact with. You are witness to the true power and meaning of suffering.
And I just have a sixth sense about these things, I believe that the excruciating pain you suffered as a child will not be a speck compared to the joy you will experience as your life proceeds. Your turn to be served with unimaginable love is coming, and coming strong. xox hugs. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Great entry, Rosemary.   I too, am spiritual, not religious.  But a Catholic Witch I am not! lol
Anyway, isn't it wonderful to touch people like that when you least expect it?

Great!

Hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

My third attempt to read and comment; here's hoping no more interference here as week-ends are busy with company most times. I prefer "spiritual" to "religious" and a broad range of study is the sensible thing. I have to live by what makes good sense and I know there are evil spirits as well as good spirits. That's just too obvious I think. OK Catholic witch (that's a good one lol) I'll catch you later...alice

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how humbled you felt!  It must be amazing to be able to reach out like that.
Missie

Anonymous said...

An appropriate subject to discuss at this time of the year, Rosemary.
Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

That was a very powerful message Rosemary.  I'm sure the boys absorbed every word.  How could they not.
Jesus certainly had a sense of humour and enjoyed a party too.  Look at the marriage feast at Cana.

Happy Easter

Jeanie   xxx

Anonymous said...

i can understand how the teens felt, you had my attention! A catholic witch? i like the sound of that! happy belated easter. mrs t xx

Anonymous said...

Yes, you surely had my attention. It takes a lot to open up in front of a group of "strangers". You had the strength to make yourself vulnerable. Not sure if I could do that. No doubt, you came a long way and whatever you did, along your way, it must have been the right thing. I am happy for you. I'll bet you've touched many.
A catholic witch? - I love it!
Maybe you have read the book: Confessions of a Pagan Nun, by Kate Horsley? I know it is fiction, but I am sure this kind of "crimes" were done to many innocent people. And it impressed me how she fought to find her way in a religious changing world. The book is on my top 10 list. Wishing you a great day. Maria

Anonymous said...

Exactly.  And good going, it'll all come back to you.  CATHY

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your background has been very intense.  Like in my own life.  God has molded you and strengthened you;  He has been there for you and pulled you through; He has been your rock and made you into the wonderful person you are today.  I have been so blessed by many of your encouraging comments.  You are a wise woman.  Being a preacher's granddaughter I don't believe in pagan stuff or buddha though I do find humor in some of the teachings.  We call buddha like a little g God; no power in buddha.  I had a friend once who had been a buddhist and she came to know Jesus and never looked back because of how real Jesus is and how buddha never did anything for her.  I do think though that these other religions have some wise things we can all learn from but for the most part I consider  them hogwash.  I rely solely on Christ and the Bible as the basis for my beliefs and I don't believe in calling myself spiritual or in spiritualism, though I am a huge fan of the Holy Spirit.  He has given me many spiritual gifts and insight into the spirit world.  He teaches us and gives us discernment of evil spirits and false Gods.  All these other teachings are interesting and fine but in the end, I stick with Jesus, the name above all other names and the power of God's Holy Spirit.  
Lisa