Friday, March 21, 2008

In Memory Of Ryan Colvin

Ryan Colvin  May 18, 1982 - March 15, 2008

Ryan's Mom has been all of my children's Spanish teacher.  She has lost her son in a tragic car accident the details of which are still emerging.  She is an amazing woman and my heart breaks for her.  There are no words anyone can offer that will bring comfort.  I pray Lord and Lady hold her in her in their arms and rock her as she grieves.

                           To All Parents

 

“I’ll Lend you for a little time,

                                         a child of mine.” He said.

“For you to love the while he lives

                                         andmorn for when he’s dead.

It may be six or seven years,

                                         or twenty two or three,

But will you, till I call him home

                                         take care of him for me?

He’ll bring his charms to gladden you

                                         and should his stay be brief,

You’ll have his lovely memories

                                         as solace for your grief.

   I cannot promise he will stay

                                         since all from earth return.

But there are lessons taught down there

                                         I want this child to learn.

I’ve looked the wide world over

                                         in search for teachers true.

And from the throngs that crowd life’s lanes

                                         I have selected you.

Now will you give him all your love,

                                         nor think the effort vein,

Nor hate me when I come to call

                                         to take him back again?”

I fancied that I heard them say,

                                         “Dear Lord, Thy will be done!

For all the joys thy child shall bring,

                                         the risk of grief we’ll run.

We’ll shelter him with tenderness,

                                         we’ll love him while we may,

And for the happiness we have known

                                         forever grateful stay.

But should the angles call for him

                                         Much sooner then we’ve planned

We’ll brave the bitter grief that comes,

                                         And try to understand"

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The message of Good Friday is to hope, amid tremendous pain and grief. God loves us more deeply than we can know or understand, and in all of our difficulties and trials, God offers the promise of joy that is beyond our ability to imagine it. A blessed Good Friday to Ryan's mom, to you, Rosemary, and to all your loyal correspondents. Know that you are deeply loved. xox hugs Sarah

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of Ryan and the grief his mom is going through; I cannot imagine that grief

I'm reminded of Psalm 139 where it says "all the days ordained to us were written in your book before one of them came to be" (loose translation - mine) This did not catch the Lord (sorry, I don't believe in the Lady, but I respect your opinion) by surprise that Ryan died on 03/15/2008 or the circumstances of his death. Why he allowed it, I do not know, but that is why he is the Sovereign Lord.

my prayer would be that people "love" on his mom during this time of immense grief and in the days to come

betty

Anonymous said...

We are not supposed to out live our children because the heart of a parent is a fragile thing that is easily broken.  I mourn for Ryan's family and especially his mother.  A dear friend of mine lost her son (age 22) a couple of years ago in the same manner.  Nothing we said or did was a comfort to her.  All we can do is pray that God will guide her through this tragedy and somehow give it meaning.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

How very sad.  She will be in my prayers.  Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like the pain of losing a child; I know because I lost my youngest son in an accident when he was sixteen years and five days old. You wonder what they would have been and done and thank God the memory of what they had been and done never goes away. There are no words or deeds that help.....alice

Anonymous said...

ohhhh my that is so sad.  Sending prayers.
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

I will pray for Ryan's Mom.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful tribute. Ryan's mother is like my mother, she has known me all of my life and has been a huge influence on me for 21 years. She is a woman of strength and compassion and I will be sure to pass this page along to her as Im sure she will appreciate it. I know that she is an amazing teacher but I know she was an even more amazing mother. She has raised 3 beautiful children. Ryan was a teacher as well and it is no doubt who he got his incredible teaching gift from. The loss of Ryan is a hurt that cannot be put into words. Everyone who knew him was touched by him and his wake was a testament as to just how many people he touched in his short 25 years. I have no doubt in my mind that he lived more in his 25 years than most people can hope for in a lifetime, and although everyone is grieving we have been blessed with so many wonderful memories that he has left us with. Thank you for your kind words and as I said I will be sure to give this to his mother.

-Dana

Anonymous said...

I feel for his mother. Ryan was my English teacher at Roosevelt Children's Academy Middle School. His was a genuinely nice guy.

R.I.P Mr. Colvin

Anonymous said...

Ryan Colvin was the coolest teacher at roosevelt childrens academy and will be remember for that