Friday, March 14, 2008

I thought I would share this poem with you once again.  It is my favorite.  It was written by Thomas Moore who was Poet Laurite of Irland.

Poetry and Faeries!

Yes, Faerie is spelled properly.  It is the proper celtic spelling of the word. And yes, I do believe!

The Argument

 

I've oft been told by learned friars,
That wishing and the crime are one,
And Heaven punishes desires
As much as if the deed were done.

If wishing damns us, you and I
Are damned to all our heart's content;
Come, then, at least we may enjoy
Some pleasure for our punishment!

                                   ~Thomas Moore

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you realize what a gift it is to read your poetry entries. Poetry touches the heart and feeds the soul. I hope you continue to print it. it would even be fun someday to read the work of lesser known or even unknown poets! Thank you for your posts and your inspiration. hugs. xox Sarah

Anonymous said...

enjoy your day, Rosemary!!

betty

Anonymous said...

Hee...I'm not much on poetry, but that one, I like....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Yep...I believe too!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

lovely poem rosemary, i love faeries too! I have lots of faerie poems from my wedding, i hid some little faeries at the reception, i did an enchanted garden theme, bit resticted by the venue and money but turned out nice, it looked wonderful in the evening with the candles. take care mrs t xx

Anonymous said...

I wondered where that spelling came from.  I have always called them faeries or faes and been corrected, but I stood by it, LOL.  Now I can tell them it is Celtic (like me).

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink